Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"Spontaneity"

I used to be more spontaneous when I was in high school. Who wasn't, right? I have always had a "planner" side to me; but I could still change plans at a drop of a hat...you know, if the girls were going to a movie or if my friends from the pool picked up a game of kick the can or something.

After I took my big jump off of the platform (mentioned in the post below) I became much more of a planner. Everything was scheduled and organized, structured. My life felt more in control that way.

This past June my husband and I went to St. Augustine with some friends. They live in Atlanta, so we were going to drive down to their house and head to the beach the next day. We arrived at their house at 11pm and had plans to go on to bed and leave in the morning.

As we sat around laughing and talking about all the things we had planned someone said, "It would be ok with me if we just left tonight."

We all looked at each other and grinned. One of our friend said, "I'd be ok with it too."

They looked at me. I said, "It would be ok with me too."

I couldn't believe it. I was so tired. What was I thinking? Something about going against "the plan" appealed to me though. We threw all of our stuff in the cars and took off.

We drove all night. The night sky filled with stars was breathtaking. The top was down on the convertible and the wind was blowing through our hair. It was so freeing. I felt so alive.

We stopped off at an IHOP near the Florida state line and watched the sunrise over a cup of coffee.

This was just the start to the spontaneity. As it turns out we left the "calendar of events" at home. So we just went with the flow. Pick up football games in a Florida-rain-made-lake at our resort, last minute trivia games at local restaurants, midnight swims in the pool--it was great. It was great not having a schedule. It was nice to realize that there didn't need to be a plan. We had fun just letting go.

To my surprise I didn't feel out of control. I just felt relaxed. I remembered how much I had enjoyed it. Spontaneity isn't just for High Schoolers. It's for us thirty somethings...really, your never too old for it.

Sometimes it's just nice to be a little spontaneous.

No comments:

Post a Comment