Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Breath Of God

Then after an awful pause, the deep voice said, "Susan." Susan made no answer but the others thought she was crying. "You have listened to fears, child," said Aslan. "Come, let me breathe on you. Forget them. Are you brave again?"
"A little, Aslan," said Susan.
- Prince Caspian, C.S. Lewis

This spoke to me. As one who has battled fear, the idea that the Lord's Spirit can breathe on me and take away fears is wonderful...hopeful.

I think back about just a few places in scripture that mention the breath of God.

  • "Then the LORD formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath or spirit of life, and man became a living being." Genesis 2:7 AMP
  • "Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit." John 20:21-22 NIV
  • "All scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16 NIV

So I have begun to ask God, "Breathe on me." What life, courage and wisdom is promised through the Breath of the Most High! Yes- Lord, humbly, I ask you to breathe on me.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible thought and wonderful Prayer. thanks for sharing that, because I have never heard his "breath" referenced in that way. Wow that is Powerful.

    God Bless,

    Michael and Kacey Picou

    ReplyDelete